As you can see, this foundation is nothing short of well loved. There's barely anything left! This is probably on or near the top of my most repurchased products list...
In 2011, in an attempt to keep my young skin looking, well, young I decided to try the much raved about Obagi skin care products. I was so hopeful. I had friends who loved the products, and their skin looked a-mazing. But I was not one of the fortunate people who too would love these products, rather just the opposite. In fact, my skin hated them. My occasional spots had changed to full face breakouts...all the time. It was my nightmare coming to life.
At this point, I began looking for a full coverage foundation that wouldn't irritate and further inflame my breakouts. I knew I wanted/needed something natural, but my skin was so sensitive even bareMinerals made me itch like crazy. So not only was my skin terrible, but I couldn't use half the face makeup I was used to.
After hours of researching natural, full coverage makeup, I decided to give Afterglow Cosmetics Organic Infused Mineral Foundation in Bisque a try.
These were factors I considered, and ultimately why I chose this mineral product:
- They are made in the USA. Go team! A rarity and always an added bonus to know I'm supporting fellow Americans.
- They use as many USDA Organic Certified ingredients as possible.
- Complete ingredient disclosure. This specific product only has eight ingredients. Eight! Other foundations can have upwards of 30 and may not fully disclose things like dies and fragrances.
- Ingredients: mica, titanium dioxide (77891), iron oxide (77491, 77492, 77499), citrus grandis (organic grapefruit) extract*, rosmarinus officinalis (organic rosemary) extract*, inulin, vitis vinifera (organic grape) seed extract*, simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba) extract* *Certified Organic
- No Bismuth Oxychloride. This one was big for me. This ingredient is what can (did) cause itchiness and breakouts. The last thing I wanted.
- No Parabens.
- Triple milled for a more flawless application and distribution.
- Pharmaceutical grade minerals for the purest product.
- Nourishing ingredients.
- SPF 20
Overall, this foundation ended up being exactly what I wanted it to be. It didn't irritate my sensitive skin, and it allowed me to build coverage where needed. No matter how much I packed on, it never looked cakey. I'll never forget my sisters comment..."Wow, it really does cover"...This was during the height of my horrible adverse reaction to Obagi. Above the surface, this product helped to cover and control my oiliness throughout the day. Below the surface, the antiseptics and antioxidant properties were working to rejuvenate my skin.
I have to take a minute and talk about their website. This is probably one the most enlightening makeup websites I've seen, really dedicating to informing their consumers. They offer an ingredient glossary that informs you on the nourishing benefits of each of the organic ingredients they use. For many of us who don't know the benefits of things like jojoba and arnica, this is more than helpful. Knowing what you are putting in and on your body will always put you ten steps ahead of the crowd.
They also have a Color Profile page which helps you determine the best foundation shade for you. Simply click on the skin that looks closest to yours to see what color they're wearing. Extremely helpful when there are 19 shades to choose from! This foundation doesn't discriminate and is available for the palest of pales to the deep darks.
The only downside to Afterglow is that you can only order it online, unless your fortunate to be near one of the few boutiques that carry it. Seriously, Sephora you need to get on this. bareMinerals has nothing on Afterglow.
Lovelies, if you are looking for mineral makeup, try out Afterglow. This truly is the best mineral makeup out there. I promise you wont be disappointed! xx
*This is not a sponsored review. This product was purchased with my money, and this is my complete and honest opinion.